Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 04:01:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help on kernel panic

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> i just cvsupped from 3.2 to 3.3.  Following advice, i am building a kernel
> before a new world.  i used the exact same config file.  When i did this,
> there were errors on a few labels missing in 686_mem.o (i think) so i
> changed the cpu type in the config file to I586_CPU.  This compiles, but
> hangs during boot (panic) and says unknown or unconfigured cpu.
> Fortunately i saved my old kernel, but how do i fix this?

You *must* put in the right CPU. You can leave them all in the config
but the correct one must be there.

Marc Schneiders                 ||	In re tam justa
                                ||	nulla est deliberatio!
marc@venster.nl                 ||
marc@oldserver.demon.nl         ||	Acta SS. MM. Scillitanorum

 4:00AM  up 5 days, 21:41, 11 users, load averages: 2.00, 2.02, 2.04
FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Oct 27 07:12:59 CEST 1999     marc@propro.oldserver.demon.nl:/usr/src/sys/compile/PROPRO