Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2012 05:22:31 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Michael Schnell <s-tlk@s-tlk.org>
Subject:   Re: Get ports tree of the current pkgng repository

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:25:36 +0300
Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Michael Schnell <s-tlk@s-tlk.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I don't know if this came up already, but not as far as I know. So, I
> > was thinking it would be nice to add a mechanism to pkgng, which enables
> > the user to get the ports tree corresponding to the current repository.
> >
> > At least I've the problem that I really like the idea of the pkgng
> > system, but I need a few custom build packages. For instance rawtherapee
> > is not working for me with OpenMP, so I have to disable it to get it
> > working, or I made some patches for openbox, which of course then needs
> > to be compiled. In order to get not in conflict with a more recent
> > ports tree the exact version of the repository build would be nice.
> >
> > At the moment I can think of two ways to implement it. The easiest way
> > would be to add the ports tree as a packages into the repository. A more
> > complicated thing is to add a mechanism to portsnap synchronised with
> > the pkgng system to direct fetch it, or at least a revision number of
> > the current repo, so you can check it out of the subversion.
> >
> > How do you guys feel about this?
> >

> > Greetings
> > Michael
> >

> Why not just include the SVN revision of the ports tree that was used
> to create the packages in the package metadata?

I asked this same question about syncronizing the ports tree with CVS
a long time ago.  At the time it seemed that manual tweaking was done
to get the packages built so there was no actual tree that matched
the package repository.  I hope this is no longer the case since mixing
ports and packages is likely to cause some mismatch eventually if there
is no syncronization.

I quit using packages because of this over ten years ago.  I'd like to
see a way to easily be able to mix building ports and using packages
without problems.

Randy