Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:16:33 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Masafumi NAKANE/=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <max@wide.ad.jp>, mike@smith.net.au, pvernon@purdue.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

> > Now, as a blind FreeBSD user/developer, I'd like to include
> > boot.config that has ``-D'' in our boot floppy so that we don't have
> > to ask any sighted geek to look for the Boot: prompt in order to let
> > the installer dump everything to the serial port.
>
> Hmmmmm.  Looking at README.serial, I can't see any downside - can
> anyone else?  What happens in the case where you have no serial ports,
> does the kernel just ignore it and continue?  (Sorry, my FreeBSD spam
> box is Linux'd at the moment or I'd check quickly for myself :).
>
> If it's entirely benign, I see no reason why you shouldn't make the
> relevant change to /usr/src/release/Makefile.

It's potentially not benign in the case where there is a mouse on the
first serial port, or there exists some other situation where either
attempting to read from the port returns garbage or writing to it
causes a problem.

In the proposed application, these seem like highly unlikely
situations.  I wouldn't suggest making -D the default for the general
case though.