Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2012 00:51:59 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: bsdlabel geometry params

On 06/04/12 15:25, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Gary Aitken wrote:
>
>>> What part of the Handbook? I would suggest using gpart(8), it makes GPT partitions easy, and nasty old MBR partitions aren't any worse than with fdisk/bsdlabel.
>>
>> 19.3.2
>
> That's the Storage chapter, section "Command Line Utilities". That is yet another section that needs updating. In the meantime, here:

I was making some notes as I went along about that.
I did decide to switch, thanks.

> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html
>
> The second half of that covers using gpart(8). I suggest using GPT partitions unless your configuration does not allow them (gmirror, for example).

Probably should have read mail sooner...
I found the wikipedia article
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
exactly what I needed to make sense of gpart.
Once you understand how the dang thing is laid out,
the commands make sense.
Without that, it's pretty difficult (for me, anyway) to figure out
how it knows what it needs to know to get it done.

Thanks