Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:22:40 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        prabhpal@digital-infotech.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD_9.0_Port_Upgrade

On Apr 23, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Prabhpal S. Mavi wrote:
> i have FreeBSD 9.0 Stable Running the following roles for past four
> months. Everything is functioning smooth alright. I read that system
> should be upgraded frequently. i am afraid that if i upgrade something can
> break.

It's a good idea to update when a relevant security advisory comes out for something you use (see portaudit and FreeBSD security announcements).  Beyond that, it's up to you and your users to decide upon how much testing you need to do to validate changes.

It's not expected that upgrading the FreeBSD OS or ports would break things, but software can get complicated and people make mistakes sometimes.  In any event, if you have working backups, then you should always be able to restore back to a known-working condition.

If you don't have backups, fix that before doing anything else.

Regards,
--
-Chuck