Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:24:25 -0700
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
To:        Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>, Sam Wun <swun@eSec.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New encription algo AES

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Mipam wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about AES?
>
> There is a nice pdf paper about Rijndael:
>
> ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-trier.de/pub/Users-TCS+NA/recker/rijndael/Rijndael.pdf
>
> Its a mathematical paper about it, but the new aes is explained in there
> in detail.

url: http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round2/aesfact.html

One of the most informative sites on this IMHO is the NIST site itself where
you'll find the code to this new standard in Java and Standard and Optimized
C, the Algorithm description and the final comparison report.  I'm still not
quite sure what to make of this new algorithm.  I'm sure it'll have least
"pretty good" security.  :-)

My bottom line after skimming the reports... I know that it has
been criticized for complexity and that it sucks cpu the worst
out of all the candidates (except when we start going to
newfangled 64 bit processors), but my advanced encryption
standard still remains twofish. :-) But the momentuum behind
AES will no doubt mean that we'll have to implement Rinjandel
all over too.

cheers,
--dr :-)

--