Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:34:43 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@telusplanet.net>
To:        LD Williams <ldwms@wmsinv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please Help With Network Configuration ..Can't log on to the  INTERNET  with NETSCAPE   WHATS  UP.......... PLEASE HELP

> LD Williams wrote:
>
> PLEASE  HELP !!!!!!!
>
> I'm  new  to unix,,,I've have been using  DOS/WINDOWS for years,,since
> 1984.

Hmmm, so you remember the fun we had with those old versions of DOS...
:-)

> I brought a copy of FreeBSD  from Frys Two weeks ago. 3.3
>
> I have a small office network SOHO. With ( 6 ) six computers on it.
>
> WORKGROUP = Wg3
> Box 1 = Old 386 with 16MB RAM   Windows95 SMC  NIC      Group= Wg-3
> Name = Larry
> Box 2 = 486DX   with 16MB RAM   Windows95 Linksys NIC   Group= Wg-3
> Name = Bob
> Box 3 = 300MHz AMD 32MB RAM Windows95 Linksys NIC   Group= Wg-3 Name =
> Billy
>
> WORKGROUP = Wg2
> Box 4 = 486SX 16MB RAM Windows95 Linksys NIC   Group=Wg-2 Name = Sue
> Box 5 = Pentium 400MHz   Windows95 SMC NIC       Group=Wg-2 Name =
> Mary
>
> WORKGROUP = Wg-1
> Box 6 = 450MHz  128MB RAM Win98 2nd Edition 3Com NIC
> USR/3Com Modem 56K   Group=Wg-1 Name = Main
>
> Box 7 = AMD 300MHz 64MB RAM Unix 3.3 FreeBSD 3Com NIC
> BestData Modem 56K  Group=Wg-1 Name = Mail
>
> Please help me setup my Unix Box/Computer ( 7 )
> every computer on my LAN work and share files but can't see box 7 Unix
> FreeBSD are share files.

Have you installed and configured SAMBA??  It is found in
/usr/ports/net/samba.  It is a bit of work to set it up but once setup
properly works well.  For more info go to www.samba.org

> Can not log on to network or goto WWW the Internet.Kppp works,But
> can't goto any web sites.
> Netscape locks up.

I don't know why netscape locks up...  I would recommend using regular
ppp and setting it to auto dial, more info on that can be found in the
freebsd handbook.

> We also have a webhost and site on the web at  http://www.wmsinv.com
> IP=216.85.236.44
> Our  ISP for the dailup connection is http://www.startext.net
> DNS1=205.172.60.12 or DNS2=205.172.60.10
>
> We would like to use our UNIX box as a mail server and ftp server
> For free e-mail accounts and FTP for free Unix/Linux help and
> software.
>
> My main workgroup is Wg-1  Windows98 2nd edition and Unix 3.3 FreeBSD
> ..Please help.
>
> I want the windows98 box to serve our LAN/SOHO and main connection to
> the internet / www

I beg you to reconsider that one...  I honestly believe that you will
save yourself a lot of grief if you have a freebsd box... :-))

> And the FreeBSD to be our free e-mail server and ftp server.
>
> We also have ( 2 ) printers   HP 697c on the windows98 box Wg-1 Share
> Name= HP on box (6) Main
>
> And a Canon 2500c on a windows95 box Wg-3 Share = canon on box (2) Bob
>
> We can not print from UNIX FreeBSD to printer Whats UP.

Again, you will have to install SAMBA and also install filters for the
printers, I would recommend doing this using
/usr/ports/print/ghostscript55 and using /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin to
set it up.  Also, you might want to consider setting up FreeBSD to be
your printer server, I have done this and it works very well.

> Can not see UNIX Box from Main Box Windows96 from Network
> Neighborhood.

Incorrect settings or, more probably, SAMBA is not installed...

> Please  help me with network configuration.PLEASE PUT IN THE RIGHT
> CHOICE a , b , c or d. Below
>
> HOST:________ (a)Larry.Valueweb.net (b)Larry.wmsinv.com  (c)wmsinv.com
> or (d) Larry.216.85.236.44

As long as this host will not be visible on the internet, I believe, I
could be wrong, that you can put in basically whatever you want, as long
as there is not some other host by that name on the internet.  IE.
Larry.wmsinv.com would be a good suggestion IMHO.

> Domain:______ (a) wmsinv.com (b) startext.net (c) valueweb.net

Domain should be the host minus your computer name.

> Gateway:______ (a)205.172.60.12      (b)205.172.60.10
> (c)216.85.236.44           (d)127.0.0.1

The IP address of the computer which is connecting to the internet for
you.  I would recommend 10.0.1.1

> Name srever:____(a)205.172.60.12 (b)205.172.60.10 (c) 216.85.236.44
> (d) none

205.172.60.12, unless you want to setup a DNS server on your freebsd
machine, which should not be terribly hard if you have the right books,
although I have never done it myself...

> Please help with NIC or Network interface Setup
>
> Unix Box Workgroup=Wg-1/ With a 3Com 3c509 ethernet card ISA    I/O=5
> IRQ=300
> Unix Box Workgroup=Wg-1/With BestData Modem card ISA    I/O=4
> Comm=/dev/sio2 [ dos=comm3]
> Unix Box Name = Mail
> IP Address:_____ (a)205.172.60.12 (b)205.172.60.10 (c)216.85.236.44
> (d)127.0.0.1 (e)none ( f ) Help

My recommendation would be 10.0.1.1

> Netmask:_____ (a) 255.255.255.0 (b) 205.172.60.12 (c) 216.85.236.44
> (d) 205.172.60.10 (e) 127.0.0.1.

Recommendation again 10.0.255.255, I think...

> Sincerely   Larry D Williams.   Please Help..........I'm waiting for
> your reply.
> Please Forward this message to any one that can help.
> ldwms@wmsinv.com
> ldwms@startext.net
> PH: 1-817-536-4842

Feel free to e-mail me if I can answer any more questions..

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com