Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is there no info on the QPOPPER hack?

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 7/22/98 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> >Most people don't let the village idiot watch their horse for them.
>
> The person who was left in charge was not the "village idiot" by
> any means. The server is run and maintained by a group for its own benefit,
> and each of us has a different area of specialization. UNIX experts are
> not exactly crawling out of the woodwork, alas.

Of course hen's not 'the village idiot'.  However, I'm no more qualified
to run NT machines as your average NT admin is qualified to run Unix
boxes.  As I've neither the time or the inclination to learn NT at the
level that would make me useful in supporting it, for purposes of
conversation, I'm 'the village idiot' when it comes to NT.  From your
posts it would seem that your NT admin is in much the same situation
regarding Unix.

> No "miracles" here. Just a distribution system for fixes which parallels
> the one via which the buggy software was installed in the first place.
> It's easy to do a network install of FreeBSD; it ought to be easy to get
> automatic fixes for security holes.

You aren't solving the problem; others have added their words to this
topic as well.  Your solution would have resulted in a non functioning
POP3 server and you would have quickly disabled the service once you
realized the control you were giving a 3rd party over your systems and
your life.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.  My efforts to play the devil's
advocate in this issue have not caused you to re-examine your position.

Any further replies should be off-list.

Thanks.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/