Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 21:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/12720: gdbm (And possibly other libraries in /usr/local/lib) not usable under 3.*

The following reply was made to PR misc/12720; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To: Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 21:28:26 -0700

 On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 11:09:11PM -0700, Chris Piazza wrote:
 > This is not a problem with the port or package of gdbm, it is a problem
 > with the configure scripts.  Here's a fancy fix:
 >
 > % env LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure
 > [..]
 > checking for dbm_close in -lgdbm... yes
 > checking for main in -lresolv... no
 > checking for getpwnam in -lsun... no
 > checking for main in -lseq... no
 > checking for main in -lintl... yes
 >
 > Conclusion:
 > It's not the gdbm port's problem that these configure scripts don't
 > check /usr/local/lib.  I'll close this PR if you don't object.
 >
 > -Chris
 >
 > --
 > cpiazza@home.net              cpiazza@FreeBSD.org
 > "I don't like principles.  I prefer prejudices."
 >                                      -Oscar Wilde

 As a follow up, below is a 'script' output of this. Even using the above
 'fix' doesn't work; the configure script runs, but the subsequent 'gmake'
 fails when trying to link using -lgdbm. This is /not/ a problem with the
 configure scripts. I am about to reinstall to Linux because I cannot run
 the server I run with these breakages.

 Orignally, I just send the above to Chris, resending now so it gets in the
 list. Also, as a test, I forced gdbm to install in /usr instead of
 /usr/local, and lo and behold, it worked flawlessly. To recap, this is NOT
 a problem with configure, it is a problem with how FreeBSD handles the files
 installed in /usr/local/lib. This is very, very recreateable and should
 be fixed; I don't know about anyone else, but it certainly seems like
 a major bug to me when libraries that are correctly installed are not being
 read at all!

 Jamie