Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:15:20 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        seawood@very.priv.at
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network LKM driver

In some mail from Peter Meerwald, sie said:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a driver for a serial adapter with fakes an ethernet interfaces; the driver makes use of an interrupt and does some port I/O
> the work is 90 % done - the LKM (it's a misc LKM) is loading and sets up an ethernet interface which works pretty well
>
> now I am trying to find a way to unload the LKM and bring the interface down...
>
> is anybody interested in this work?
> has anyone done something similar?
> anyone interested in a ISA network LKM device driver?

Have a look out for something called "vif" - virtual interface or "visr".

It's an LKm written for SunOS4 to provide virtual interface which is
designed to allow source routes to be used easily.  There are two versions
around - one which can't be unloaded and one which can.

Typically you need to do things like remove from the list of interfaces,
invalidate/delete routing references, etc.

darren