Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:42:13 +0200
From:      David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LAN over FireWire

On Mon 2002-07-08 (13:49), Pascal Giannakakis wrote:
> Anyone tried it? I'd like to connect my W2K to my FBSD via FireWire instead
> of Fast
> Ethernet. If LAN over FireWire works, what tools do i need?

The short answer is that it isn't possible in either OS.

There are some drivers for FireWire cards for FreeBSD - see
http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/.  But, as far as I know, no-one has
implemented IP-over-1394 (RFC 2734) in FreeBSD yet.  If anyone has,
I'd be very interested to hear about it.

On the Windows side, IP-over-1394 is only supported in Windows ME and
Windows XP.

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za