Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

> The Linux philosophy has always been about simplistic cycle counting
> exercises without understand whether the data had any meaning or not.
> You've once again displayed your wholehearted participation in this
> lack of understanding of what the data points might mean to any real-
> world application.

Well, the thing I'm talking about isn't a philosophy, because
it removed data serialization doing what I suspect is a kernel/user
space copy from doing a superficial glance of the code.

This is one of the detected bottlenecks in the Mindcraft study that
suck copy performance by approximately 4 times.

Another things that was included on the like bottleneck list is
the waking of all the processes in the process queue when accept()
is being called. This was termed the "Thundering Herds" problem, which
they solve using a wake-one process implementation of accept().

> denial" part.  Or, better yet, just fuck off and get the hell off our
> list.  This is NOT an appropriate forum for Linux advocacy, which seems
> to be all you can do.

Well, so far I've heard alot of BS about Linux that isn't exactly true
and much of it seems like a bunch of artificial problems that hold
against the Linux folks. Most of it is just intentionally misrepresented
bullshit.

I came on this list initially to just check was the FreeBSD community
was like, but what I've gotten since is alot of ego and hostility
toward things that aren't completely FreeBSD. That's something that
I didn't expect and reading this list has given me a particular
negative view of FreeBSD that wasn't present before.

In-fighting with the current NFS maintainer and general rudeness to other
potential devs make FreeBSD's kernel people look like bunch of dorks whether
you like it or not.

I'm also not big enough asshole ot put someone on a "kill-list" and is just
a reflection of a kind of conservative need to dehumanize other folks
so that your selfish comfort is "preserved".

> Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC

bill