Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 20:02:58 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mini-DNS approaches

Hi,
This may be something you already have, but I use nslint to make sure my named
files are all ok, on the Freebsd box that is. nslint checks through your namedb
files, and alerts you to any configuration errors.
Very useful tool.

bob

Dan Langille wrote:

> I have my named daemon running pretty much the way I want it.
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp30.html in order to set this up.
>
> My first attempts at implementing name resolution for hosts on the subnet
> failed.  So I bought the book "TCP/IP Network Administration" by Craig
> Hunt.  After about 3 or 4 hours of trial and error, I figured it out.  It
> now works.
>
> I'd like to find out more about the differences been the book and the
> webpage as far as their examples are concerned.  From an initial look, it
> appears as if the information contained in the webpage example is actually
> distributed across more files within the book example.  Can anyone comment
> upon this first impression?
>
> Specifically, the book example contains nothing like this from the webpage:
>
>      curly.my.domain.        IN A    192.168.1.1     # The FreeBSD box
>      larry.my.domain.        IN A    192.168.1.2     # The Win'95 box
>
> BTW: I believe that the example given for mydomain.db contains an error.
> The comments should be prefixed with ; not # as shown on the line for
> shemp.mydomain and the previous three lines.  Is that correct?
> --
> Dan Langille
> DVL Software Limited
> http://www.dvl-software.com : for race timing solutions

Support Whirled Peas.      Business in China?          China House
robert@chalmers.com.au ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425 #11252938
http://www.chalmers.com.au/ChinaHouse/Business/webposition
http://www.chalmers.com.au/ChinaHouse/Business/net2phone.html
http://www.chalmers.com.au/ChinaHouse/Business/vpay/vpay.html