Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:58:05 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gating - IPFilter etc.

I am in the process of setting up a gateway/firewall and I need all the
help I can possibly get, so this description is going to be rather lenghty
I fear.

Today we are running a WinNT Server based network, but since we are getting
a "constant" connection to Internet and we are planning to install some
sort of firewall I thought I should use FreeBSD instead of a MicroSoft
sollution.

Here is a brief description of the network today:

Approx 40 workstations +
2 NT Servers +		(192.168.1.xxx)	------------->  (192.168.1.1) Router
(Dynamic IP)
1 AS/400

Here is the first step of my "planned" change:

Approx 40 workstations +
2 NT Servers +	(192.168.2.xxx) ----> (192.168.2.1) FreeBSD (192.168.2.2)
------->  (192.168.2.1) Router (Dynamic IP)
1 AS/400

The reason for changing the routers IP is that I don't want to change all
the clients as we don't use DHCP.

I was planning to use IPFilter+IFNAT on the FreeBSD box to accomplish this
task. So now I need to know if there is any good beginners documentation on
IPFilter + IFNAT and/or if its possible at all to accomplish this using
these tools. I also want to put in rather restrictive rules on what is
allowed to be passed through the BSD box, so I need a pretty elaborate doc
on the IPFilters capabilities ( easy to understand wouldnt be bad either ).

Anyone care to enlighten me on this subject?

PS: The later changes will pretty much only involve a static IP on the
other side of the router and a hardware VPN sollution ( if anyone can
direct me to a VPN sollution for FreeBSD that is good, that would also be
appriciated ) DS.
/

Thomas Uhrfelt
Datortekniker