Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:34:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Yes, I saw this in bsd.port.mk, but it doesn't affect anything -- xmkmf
>  * builds the Makefile with /usr/X11R6 as the top of the tree.
>
> If you want to move the whole X tree, redefine X11BASE in
> /etc/make.conf and ProjectRoot in /usr/X11R6(oops)/lib/X11/config/site.def.
>
> There is currently no way to safely move part of the X tree.  I've
> talked with numerous people about this (most recently with Chuck, as
> he just mentioned), but the one-tree-ness is just built so deeply into
> the X design (take app-defaults for instance) I'm not sure if we can
> change this. :(

I can make X installs do anything I want, it's not difficult, by
redefining the xmkmf call in bsd.port.mk.  That's not the trouble, I
already gave Satoshi a dmonstration patch that did that.  The hitch is the
X Resource Manager library calls, that all good X applications use to read
their defaults with.  The path /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults is
hardcoded into the library call, so if we don't install stuff into
/usr/X11R6 (or I should say, at a minimum, the app-defaults files) then X
applications won't be able to read their defaults.

I can put stuff anywhere I please, imake gives me great flexibility (I
actually like imake better the autoconf).  Installing it isn't the
problem.

> Satoshi

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |