Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:37:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        doug@footech.com, jason@washington.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contingency Floppy

>  how I can mount the /var
>  and /usr file systems on /var and /usr (respectively) of the
>  floppy.  The first problem is that I don't have the right drivers
>  available (wd0s2e for /var and wd0s2f for /usr).  Secondly, I'm
>  a bit concerned about covering up (with the mount) what's already
>  available in the /var and /usr directories on the floppy.

use the /var and /usr on the hard drive...

on fixit disk:

# mount /dev/wd0s2a /mnt
# mount /mnt/dev/wd0s2e /mnt/var
# mount /mnt/dev/wd0s2f /mnt/usr

if a filesystem corruption blew away one of these special device names,

# cd /mnt/dev
# MAKEDEV <INSERT_WHAT_NEEDS_TO_BE_MADE>

there are times you need applications that are not on the fixit disk, use
the executables on the hardrive:

PATH=$PATH:/mnt/bin:/mnt/sbin:/mnt/usr/bin:/mnt/usr/sbin

with shared libraries and all, you may need to manually initialize the
shared library cache:

# ldconfig /usr/lib /mnt/usr/lib /mnt/usr/lib/compat /mnt/usr/X11R6/lib ...

still rarely, you will need to now make the hard drive the "root".
since everything is mounted normally, you can run `chroot'.

--mark.