Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:26:08 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about file system checks

--------------enigA4AB865533665811AC3A61A4

Danny Pansters wrote:

> Generally I can say that with freebsd even if you pull the plug and the=
n let=20
> it reboot and do the automatical background fsck you'll likely loose on=
ly=20
> that one file you might have been editing while (or just before) you=20
> unplugged the box.

Stress testing I've done suggests otherwise :) I've literally repeatedly =

pulled the plug of a server in a controlled environment, and with a=20
network logging of (a high load of) file system operations. My results=20
show that UFS+SU and ZFS on FreeBSD loose *the most* files (and in case=20
of UFS+SU especially directories), than any of: jfs, xfs, reiser3 (on=20
Linux 2.6.22) and NTFS (on Windows 2003 Server). ext3 is somewhat=20
similar to UFS+SU, though about 30% better at not loosing files.

Some other notes from this proceeding:

1. UFS+gjournal looses the least, but it's also the slowest.
2. UFS+SU had no truncated files or files of unexpected length=20
(apparently it just looses the file that would end up in this state)
3. XFS and JFS end up with a *huge* number of files that are truncated=20
or of unexpected length (40%-50%!)
4. In no case has any of the above file systems gone completely=20
corrupted or lost any of the files/directories not being updated.
5. ZFS on FreeBSD was the fastest, in the sense of creating the most=20
files during this benchmark (though speed was not the target for this=20
benchmark so this is a low-quality observation), closely followed by JFS =

and XFS.
6. ZFS crashed the kernel at least once.