Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 10:12:28 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to Show Environment Variables

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 at 08:29:18 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm looking through both the man pages and The Complete FreeBSD but
> can not locate the command to show what a environment variable is
> currently set.  My shell is tcsh and I have found the 'setenv'
> command.  I've tried this with no success (i.e., 'setenv PATH').

You can use one of two things.  Using env will give show you every
variable currently set.  Using echo $VARIABLE will show you that
variable.  For example, echo $PATH, or echo $SHELL.

> I would also like to know how to show the current system time.  I've
> found the 'time' command but this doesn't appear to be what I want.

You want the man page for date.

> Is there a web page somewhere that lists some of these simple
> commands?

http://www.FreeBSD.org/tutorials/new-users/ has some of them listed
along with what they do.

- jim