Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/ports/CHANGES.please

While updating a port, it can take upwards of an hour
to determine for sure the proper order of
dependencies.  This would be easier, and
may save re-compile time later (less errors), if
in each /port/ subdirectory is a file:
DEPENDENCIES-COMMANDS

in roughly the following format:

this port is a Level 8 port.
One might want to be sure levels 2 through 7
are updated before building this port...

level 0... [future use]
level 1... [future use]
level 2... libtool15  [for example]
level 3... expat2     [for example]
                       since, libtool?? is necc to
                       build and/or run expat2...
level 8    THIS PORT

and so as not to waste the use of a file...

it could also include EXAMPLES...  many man pages
installed with the ports have few if any cli
examples... I have installed several ports which
i *cannot* use because, while their descriptions
are good, actual examples are lacking of usage.
Thus examples which are missing from manpages or
README's could be *very encouraged* to be placed
into this (or another ) file...  This would also
prepare people prior to installing a port, as to
usage if it is a command-line-interface app.

In short, we save time with this *one* file in,
dependency-chain errors
dependencies-all-at-once errors
looking-up-syntax-after-install research time

Jeff

http://auctions.yahoo.com/