Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:28:01 -0400
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

At 03:39 PM 8/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>    Has anyone tried Streamlogic's RAIDION drive arrays?  Apparently
>they can do RAID 1 and 5 in hardware... all your host sees is one very
>large, very fast disk.  I'm thinking of tossing one of those with a
>dozen 2GB drives or so in for a news server.  I may not need special
>drivers, but I can see some hurdles with disktab-related stuff.
>Maybe I can get an eval unit from them to play with.  :)

Yes.  I have installed one for a non-linear video editor.   It was
a 12GB array.  Worked great.  Of course it was used on a Macintosh.

It wasn't streamlogic, but micropolis then. The only thing I
didn't really like was that I couldn't purchase is with other
brand drives (I prefer Seagate Hawks).

I didn't get a chance to test it under FreeBSD.  Fairly fast, but
other than the RAID 5 aspect, why not use CCD?  News spool is hardly
a get killed by users application (unless you have lots of
disgruntled postal workers online ;) )

---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"