Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:30:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      mab@sjca.edu
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/2850: init(8) man page does not document securelevel properly

>Number:         2850
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       init(8) man page does not document securelevel properly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
There are a couple problems with the documentation of kernel security levels:

1) The init(8) manual page states that the kernel boots at securelevel
0.  This isn't true; by default it is set to -1.

2) The interface to changing the security level (editing
/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_sysctl.h or something like that) is not
documented.  Also, the interface stinks, but this is supposed to be a
doc bug. :-)

3) The manual page ought to warn that configuring a kernel to boot at
securelevel 1 or 2 can cause autobooting to fail, because the kernel
will not be able to do fsck on dirty filesystems.  I speak from
experience on this one.

4) Saying that securelevel can be raised to 2 in /etc/rc is a little
vague.  It ought to state at exactly what point in booting securelevel
can be raised---like, say, right at the end.  If you did it before the
filesystem checks, things would be bad.  That would be clueless of
course, but... Really, there should be an /etc/sysconfig interface to
securelevel; this would un-obfuscate things considerably.