Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 08:35:17 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386 rep (blah) and interrupts...

Michael Smith writes:

>    insw(sc->sc_port,sc->sc_buf,sc->sc_pending);
>
>.... which basically translates to the i386 'rep insw' construct.
>
>It's not inconcievable that sc->sc_pending could run to several tens of K,
>and what I don't know is whether this construct is interruptible or not.
>
>If it isn't, obviously I'll want to slice it up into smaller slabs.  If it
>is, then bigger is faster, and speed is fairly important.
>
>Anyone can comment?

Intel's `Pentium Processor Famil Developer's Manual' shows
pending interrupts processed inside the loop for the rep family
of instructions. So I'd have to say yes it is interruptible, but
you could make the system slow to a crawl by being pigish on the
block size, you probably know that though...

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 0411-222-496       [[
>]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
>]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com
erich@rrnet.com