Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:13:56 +0100
From:      Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@gmail.com>
To:        Stephen Mcconnell <stephen.mcconnell@avagotech.com>,  freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI 9300-16i supported?

Hi Stephen,

thanks a lot for your info!

Btw: is Avago/LSI contributing all it's driver code for FreeBSD to be
included in the FreeBSD source tree?

E.g. LSI has downloads for FreeBSD drivers:

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9201-16i.aspx#tab/tab4

Why is that? Is that different code than the one included in FreeBSD
source tree?

I'd prefer to rely on standard FreeBSD source tree (definitely no vendor
blobs .. but it seems the download above is source anyway).

 > Officially, Avago (LSI) hasn't done ANY testing on 10.1 yet and I
personally
> have not used the 9300-16i card.  So, officially, no cards are supported on
> 10.1 yet.  Unofficially, my guess is that they both work just fine, but
> you'll probably have to do your own validation until Avago does its 10.1
> testing.

I see.

I guess I go with the LSI SAS 9201-16i for the time being - probably
"less risk". The fact that the 9300 has _two_ 3008 chips on one card
could be a source of additional pain .. and then we have 3 of those cards.

My problem is: I'd love to use the newer card (more IOPS pushed etc),
but this box needs to go to production real quickly, and costs some money.

There are enough potential sources of surprise already, like the box
will have 8 Intel P3700 PCIe 2TB SSDs. We'll find out what
FreeBSD/ZFS/PostgreSQL makes out of these;)

Cheers,
/Tobias