Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 1999 12:54:29 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of JDK for FreeBSD?

Nate Williams wrote:

> > What I'm interested in is how Sun collaborates with FreeBSD Java
> > effort, if at all.
>
> Sun has no reason to, because it isn't necessary for them to have
> yet-another platform to compete with Solaris.  Linux is done because of
> market pressure, and there is virtually none from the FreeBSD user
> base. (hint hint)

Has anyone tried submitting an RFE/Bug similar to the one that asked for
Linux support?

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4097810.html

As long as Sun didn't just say they weren't going to do it and mark it
closed, I'm sure we could round up a few votes for such a request.

Right now, a search on the BugParade for "FreeBSD" only comes up with 10
hits, most of them not specifically relevant to FreeBSD, but two with
evaluations of "This is not an environment that we support." and "This
is a third party port."

So it's not terribly surprising if FreeBSD isn't really showing up on
their radar screens.  If somebody does get something entered in to the
bug parade, let us know so we can go vote for it.

	Barry