Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:22:12 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        terry@mrtux.co.uk, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:sshd security

I tried to implement a similar scheme in my hosts.allow on a FreeBSD 5.2.1
server.  But when I try to test it from an IP outside my LAN, it still
allows ssh logins.  I even put in a line in hosts.allow to explicitly deny
the IP I was ssh'ing from, but it still let me in.  The behavior  gives the
appearance that TCP wrappers are not enabled, and thus the /etc/hosts.allow
file is ignored.

Is there something I need to do to enable the wrappers in sshd?  I saw that
there is a compile option for the portable source from openssh.org, so I
wonder if there is some compile option that needs to be enabled in make.conf?

I have gone through the documentation for sshd_config, sshd, make.conf,
etc. but am not finding anything to change.

         -Derek