Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:30:48 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        "Guenter Marx" <Guenter.Marx@psychologie.wiso.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Installation 2.0

hello,

> Then I choose ASSIGN and I'm asked which partition.
> I really don't know what I have to enter at this point.
> If I enter the letter c or d then it says INVALID PARTITION.
. If I enter a number it says INVALID PARTITION.
> If I enter the letter a,b or e-h it says INVALID PARTITION TYPE.

you want to ASSIGN partition:

	a	/
	b	swap
	e	/usr

assumming the simplest installation.  BUT first you have to SIZE(? i
foget actual wording) a, b, and e:

	a should be at least 16MB
	b should be at least 2 * real memory, ie if 8MB machine it
	   should be at least 16MB.  I prefer MUCH more, on a 16MB
	   machine with many X-clients I use 48-64MB.
	e will be remainder of your partition.

in the version I used last (950112-SNAP) I had problems
with the e partition holding all the disk space and NOT allowing me to
set b.  I don't think this is a problem if you SIZE a,b,c in order,
but if it is merely decrease the size of the partition you want to
take from, then size the one your giving it to.  NOTE: you do NOT
want to attempt to re-size c or d!  WHen done a+b+e should = c.

						Steve Passe
						smp@clem.systemsix.com