Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 16:02:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        me@FreeBSD.org, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi sd.c

> > In pcs.freebsd.current you write:
> >
> > >I have committed the the changes for slices to the sd driver:
> > >---
> > >bde         95/03/23 08:09:02
> >
> > Hrrm, both of my FreeBSD disks use the whole drive starting at sector 0,
> > there aren't any slices on them. The slice changes don't allow me to mount
> > them any more. Is this on purpose, I.e. do I *have* to fdisk my disks
> > or is the code supposed to work with FreeBSD covering the whole disk?
>
> Yes, you have to slice them, the good news is that you don't loose any
> disk-space doing so :-)
> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.

I'm still lost. Around 95/03/23 08:09:02 -current wouldn't bring up
my f partition anymore.

It does however boot, mount a and e correctly and then pukes on f saying
can't read sectors 16-31, not a BSD labelled drive.  My f partition is
about 1.6GB.   The whole drive was used for FreeBSD.

I remember the install code talking about slicing and having to install
slice 1 (0) as the FreeBSD slice.  Is there another level of slicing?

How does one "slice" a drive?

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com