Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +1100
From:      Maxim Vetrov <muxas@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
Subject:   Re: Gnome pausing forever if restarted too soon?

Joe Marcus Clarke пишет:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:01 +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I've got enough motivation to ask about a problem I've saw since
>> my first days with Gnome in FreeBSD. When I quit my current Gnome
>> session and start a new one in a moment, e.g., to test some new
>> settings, Gnome won't fully start: It will show the initial logo, load
>> some components, hide the logo, and then just pause with the empty
>> desktop. It doesn't seem to matter if I use gdm or startx. The
>> workaround I found is to kill Gnome-related processes left running
>> after I quit Gnome, but doing so each time is a bit annoying. Is it a
>> known issue? Sorry, I failed to find any references to it in the FAQs.
>>

> The issue is with bonobo-activation-server.  If it remains running
> (i.e. some of its clients keep it running), GNOME will not restart.  If
> it alone is killed, GNOME will start right up.  I haven't yet looked
> into why these clients are not dying.
>
> Joe

Just for those who might stuck with that issue as I.

IMHO, there is a problem libbonobo if it's compiled with threading
support (and it's the default setting in the port!). When it must
cleanly quit after user logout it really doesn't because its thread is
waiting for something... (see my previous posting on how to reveal
that). I do not have enough technical expertise to find reason(s) of
such behaviour. The workaround which worked for me is to disable
threading. You can do it by putting

BONOBO_ACTIVATION_DISABLE_THREADING=yes; export
BONOBO_ACTIVATION_DISABLE_THREADING

into /etc/profile. After login you must see confirmation from b-a-s in
the /var/log/messages:
Apr 10 21:41:55 devel bonobo-activation-server (muxas-3007): b-a-s
running in non-threaded mode

If b-a-s complains that it can't find
/usr/local/etc/ConsoleKit/run-session.d, create this dir.

Regards,
Muxas