Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:30:30 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 3.3  [Was streambuf.h broken ... ]

* David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> [2002-09-01 14:31]:

[snip]

> > >It was my understanding that FreeBSD 5.0 release was not going
> > >to be GCC 3.3 (because GCC 3.3 would not be released in time for
> > >FreeBSD to not be "pulling a RedHat" if they shipped a beta and
> > >called it 3.3) , might be GCC 3.2, and was currently down-rev
> > >from there.
>
> 3.3.0 will be released before FreeBSD 5.1.  It is my advice to
> FreeBSD'ville that we go with a GCC 3.3 snapshot for FBSD 5.0 and a GCC
> 3.3.0 release for FBSD 5.1.  That way we can get the new features of 3.3
> into our 5.x branch.  AND get bug fixes by importing 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 into
> later FBSD 5.x releases.

From the GCC Development Plan web page
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/develop.html#future

and the FreeBSD 5.0 Release Process web page
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/schedule.html

here is a side by side summary of both published plans:

               GCC 3.3                          FreeBSD 5.0
-------+----------------------------+-----------------------------
       |  GCC 3.3 in Stage 3        |  FreeBSD 5.0 in  DP-2
       |      (bug fixes only)      |
       |                            |
Oct 1  |                            |  -current Feature Freeze
       |                            |
Oct 15 |  GCC Stage 3 Ends          |
       |     (begin release branch) |
       |                            |
Oct 20 |                            |  -current Code Freeze
       |                            |
       |                            |
Nov 20 |                            |  5.0 Announced
Dec 15 |  GCC 3.3 Released          |

Best Regards,
jpb
===