Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 02:41:34 +0100
From:      pb@fasterix.freenix.org (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        totii@est.is (?or?ur Ivarsson), pb@fasterix.freenix.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panics when stopping pppd

Terry Lambert writes:
[ crash when disconnecting PPP ]
> If you have a local ethernet, look at the variables that exist on your
> stack to see if your local ethernet MAC address is there somewhere;
> this looks remarkably similar to a crash I saw, but have not yet been
> able to reproduce.

I have a local ethernet, but apparently no MAC address on the stack
(I might have missed it though).

On the other hand, I can reproduce the crash almost at will.
It happens only when I have dynamic routes _and_ they are removed
when PPP is down; if I stop gated before I stop PPP, there is no
crash at all even when gated routes are removed.

If I spray a few printf in the rtrequest code for RTM_DELETE to
figure out what happens, it doesn't crash anymore. There might be
a race condition somewhere.

rtrequest() appears to at least sometimes return with an error
before crashing, because in_ifadownkill managed to log the following
once (from strings vmcore | tail -100):

	<4>in_ifadownkill: error 3

The instruction pointer is 0x6e655000 every time I've been able to
see it:

	instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x6e655000
	stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf4d4cd74
	frame pointer           = 0x10:0xf4d4cdb0
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher