Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:59:51 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Warning - FreeBSD (*BSD) entanglement in Linux ecosystem

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:29:56 +0200
Michel Talon articulated:

> David Jackson said:
>
> > In reference to the claims that systemd developers "do not care
> > about portability", this is deceptive and misleading.
>
> You should read the following interview of Lennart Poettering
> http://linuxfr.org/nodes/86687/comments/1249943
> The amount of hubris and self confidence he deploys is really
> astounding. I will just quote two extracts:
>
> " LinuxFr.org : Systemd use a lot of Linux only technologies (cgroups,
> udev, fanotify, timerfd, signalfd, etc). Do you really think the Linux
> API has been taking the role of the POSIX API and the other systems
> are irrelevant ?
>
> Lennart : Yes, I don't think BSD is really too relevant anymore, and I
> think that this implied requirement for compatibility with those
> systems when somebody hacks software for the free desktop or
> ecosystem is a burden, and holds us back for little benefit.  "
>
> and cherry on the cake
>
> "LinuxFr.org : Why Linux desktop hasn't been adopted by the
> mainstream users ? Linus Torvalds seems to think it's mostly a social
> issue and not a technical one. Do you agree with him ?
>
> Lennart : I think we weren't innovative enough in the interface, and
> we didn't have a convincing message and clear platform. If you accept
> MacOS as benchmark for user interfaces, then we weren't really
> matching it, at best copying it. I think this is changing now, with
> GNOME 3 which is a big step forward as an interface for Linux and for
> the first time is something that has been strictly designed under UI
> design guidelines. "

The critics complain that the new ideas merely introduces de minimis
modifications and does nothing to amend the real faults in the system.
The real problem is that true innovative development in FreeBSD has
become stagnant. It has taken, and in some cases still not achieved
equal standings with other OSs in many areas. Wireless technology, full
USB support to name a few. It is ALWAYS easier to blame others for our
failures than to admit the problem lies within ourselves. Thank God
that everyone is not the complacent. Where would civilization be now if
Edison had considered the candle the ultimate technological advancement
in portable lighting or if Bell had considered the telegraph the
pinnacle of high speed communication. Change is hard -- it always has
been. There exists a strong subculture that would rather curse the
darkness then light a candle. Debating with them is a waste of time.

You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down
to their level....then beat you with experience. Simple ignore them and
when time has passed them by and proven you right, you can smile
knowing that you were. The frontiers are littered with "dinosaurs". You
could also enjoy a great day of golf which beats the hell out of
arguing with those married to the past.

--
Jerry ♔