Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 00:08:16 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        Moritz Willers <Moritz.Willers@wit.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC 8216 / 8216c

Moritz Willers wrote:
> I know the network card SMC 8216 is supported - or at least this is what I
> read. Yet I've been trying two days without success to install it. I must be
> missing something.

I run the slightly newer versions, the SMC Elite Ultra and EtherEZ, with
no problem.

> One thing I'm not sure about is the memory address. I set the jumper to 3,
> which indicates on the card that this would set I/O 300, IRQ 10, RAM cc00 and
> ROM none. Is the cc00 correct? Most other cards I know would have cc000. I
> tried both. Without success.

Get your butt booted back to DOS via floppy or whatever and use the SMC
install disk
to ask it.  That's the  way to be sure, and it's what I do when I have
questions on
a SMC or 3COM card configuration.

> The card is recognized at boot time:
>
> Dec 31 00:16:23 wild-ding /kernel: ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 10 maddr 0xcc00

It may lie.  It truly only knows a card exists at the I/O address, the
IRQ or maddr
can be wrong and it will not complain.  Rude, I know.

> msize 16384 on isa
> Dec 31 00:16:23 wild-ding /kernel: ed0: address 00:00:c0:fd:22:a6, type
> SMC8216/SMC8216C (16 bit)
>
> but I only get warnings like
>
> Dec 31 00:16:26 wild-ding /kernel: ed0: device timeout

This is often a bad IRQ or perhaps memory address.  See previous advice.

> Can anybody give me a hint? I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE. thanks,

Hmmm. I'm up on 2.1.5 with those cards, so your milage may very.  If you
continue
to have a problems, you may wish to jump to 2.1.6.  (I did that for
another system
with an EtherLink III card last night -- while the world was out
drinking and I was
asleep, that system loaded itself over the Internet.)  In any case, I
don't know if
those cards had problems on 2.1.0.

--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

 I've joined the Computer Commandos, and I'm off to win the video wars!