Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:06:38 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-user@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/scripts bin-install.sh commerce-install.sh compat1x-install.sh compat20-install.sh des-install.sh dict-install.sh games-install.sh info-install.sh manpages-install.sh proflibs-install.sh src-install.sh xperimnt-install.sh

On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>   Added:       release/scripts  bin-install.sh commerce-install.sh
>                         compat1x-install.sh  compat20-install.sh
>                         des-install.sh dict-install.sh  games-install.sh
>                         info-install.sh manpages-install.sh
>                         proflibs-install.sh src-install.sh
>                         xperimnt-install.sh
>   Log:
>   Check in the shell scripts I used for the 2.1-RELEASE CDROM.  These
>   are provided simply as easy short-cuts for users who are prowling through
>   the dists structure and decide to install something directly from there.
>
>   There still needs to be some glue stuck into release/Makefile to copy
>   these into the appropriate homes following a full `make release', but I'll
>   wait until phk is done in there.

Speaking of these, I was a bit disturbed when I saw the compat20.tgz file
- it had a lot of libXXX.so.2.0 libs in there, and the install script
seemed to be splatting all those over the top of the /usr/lib directory..
For example, it was splatting a 2.0 libutil.so.2.0 over the top of a 2.1
/usr/lib/libutil.so.2.0

This strikes me as a bit dangerous.. :-(  The binary interface may be the
same across all *.so.2.0 libs, but there are bugs fixed in later versions
of the libraries...  And installing the compat20 dist looks like it
reverses any of the 2.1-release fixes to libs still at *.so.2.0

I've not looked closely, but when I installed a 2.1 CD here, I noticed
that the 2.1-release libutil.so.2.0 was replaced with the 2.0
libutil.so.2.0 - there were others..  libcurses libedit libncurses
libmytinfo libtermlib etc.  Wasn't there a long-termcap-entry bugfix in
curses/ncurses/termlib/mytinfo post 2.0?

Of course, I may be missing something obvious, in which case I'll blush
and shut up.. :-)  I'd be a whole lot more comfortable if the dist was
extracted somewhere and only move them if they are not already
installed...

-Peter