Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:12:39 -0500
From:      "kirt" <noodle@pwnd.org>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: irc

> Hello all,
>
> A long time ago (96ish) I used Mirc for a while to communicate with some
friends, since then everyone has moved to aolim, icq or yahooim.  I keep
hearing that there is a wealth of info and supports for opensource apps on
irc so im going to have a try at it again.

> I havee a few questions....
>
> Is it worth it?
> Can anyone suggest a good app to use?  Im fairly comfortable in a shell
environment.
> Also, anyone have a prefered how-to?  I googled a bunch, but they seem to
be app specific.

> Thanks in advance.
> Brian

BitchX is nice enough

www.bitchx.org

runs happily in your average shell or in X

/usr/ports/irc/bitchx/ for the port

supports "windows" to allow you to view multiple channels and easy keystroke
navigation of said windows (if you've ever used screen, it's very similar)

the cypress script for BitchX has some handy features as well

http://www.mindcryme.com/~void/

--kirt
--www.pwnd.org