Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:31:14 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested addition to 'date'

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2006-08-11 20:54, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
>

>>Yes I said I hacked it in :-)
>>In my app you will never have such long lines..
>>basically you need something that reads lines and tells you how much it
>>read..
>>(I have no idea WHY fgets need sto return the START.. you already KNOW
>>that!)
>>it'd be nice if you didn't have to to a strlen() on each line.
>>

>Perhaps the solution Sam proposed is much better then?

 ha!

> To read one
>character at-a-time and only special-case the '\n' characters?

I didn't see that being mentionned anywhere, but I guess compared to
running date once for every line
I could live with a strlen().  :-)
it'd probably be more efficient than doing it one char at a time.

>Maybe something like this?
>
>	if (sflag) {

[...]

>				otval = tval;
>			}
>			(void)printf("%s", buf);
>			if (fflush(stdout))

wonder if it would want to be flushed less often if stdout was a file..
I think stdio would do the right thing in most cases so I guess teh
fflush woudl only be needed at the end, after the last file,
or maybe just on a signal handler so it flushes out the last buffer on ^C