Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:52:31 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark <jeanmark@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        martin.kahlert@infineon.com
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I can only send 30 packackes through my ISDN connection

Hello Martin,

Martin Kahlert wrote:

> Hi Jean-Mark,
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:07:39AM +0100, Jean-Mark wrote:
> > Since you  are using a PCI isdn  card it is more than likely it is  a
> > "passive" card, as most are
> You are right, it is a passive AVM Fritz PCI.
>
> > , so there is a strong  chance that you need
> > a simple line terminator going in-between the ISDN cable from your  card
> > to the  ISDN socket outlet at the wall.
> I do not think, that this is a hardware problem:
> 1. The old Fritz card (unfortunately ISA) works with the same cable/outlet
>    from Linux without any problem.
> 2. The new Fritz card (PCI) works without any problem in Windows XP.
>    (This is a dual boot system)
>    I needed no confuguration (besides the telephone number of my provider of
>    course) to get it working there. It runs stable - no problems whatsoever.
>
> > If you're not sure what a line
> > terminator  is then just ask your usual  telecom equipment supplier or
> > the phone company for one - it looks like a little  plastic  phone
> > connector-socket and  a  connector-plug with a few centimeters of phone
> > cable attached in-between and the  purpose is to adapt a  "raw" S0-bus
> > for passive  TA's
> Do i need this for ISDN adapters (sorry i do not know the english word for it:
> the thing connected to the real isdn-wall outlet providing a lot of ISDN
> slots, an internal S0 bus plus some analog slots), too?
>
> Thanks
> Martin.
>
> --
> The early bird catches the worm. If you want something else for
> breakfast, get up later.

You're absolutely right, if your old card worked with another OS  then I
dont think a line adapter would make a difference.

I read  an interesting post in the questions list just last night
however  concerning what appears to be  a documented  problem  with
internal cards and  IRQ  assignment in the  latest  release  of  fbsd,
so maybe that might  prove  helpful to you.

The post  was at
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=832035+0+current/freebsd-questions,
but since your  internet connection is out I've quoted  the  fix at the
bottom of this  mail

Best regards,
Jean-Mark

jmdupx_@_yahoo.com (anti-spam -  remove __ )

Problem Report kern/40636
PCI devices don't share IRQs.

Confidential
no
Severity
serious
Priority
medium
Responsible
freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
State
open
Class
sw-bug
Submitter-Id
current-users
Arrival-Date
Mon Jul 15 21:10:01 PDT 2002
Last-Modified
never
Originator
Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
Release
4.6-STABLE
Organization
Plan B Software Labs
Environment
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Mon Jul 15 22:05:16 EDT 2002
yid@: /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PLANB  i386
Description
My PCI modem, a 3COM/USR Peformance Pro, gets IRQ 9 and the equivalent
of COM5 (sio4) when configured during bootup. My built-in USB expansion
docking station (uhci1) later in the boot-up process request IRQ 9 and
is denied it.
How-To-Repeat
An internel PCI modem gets an IRQ, other hardware requesting that IRQ
are denied.
Fix
/usr/src/sys/isa/sio.c

Change sioattach()

From

com->irqres = bus_alloc_resource(dev, SYS_RES_IRQ, &rid, 0ul, ~0ul, 1,
RF_ACTIVE);

com->irqres = bus_alloc_resource(dev, SYS_RES_IRQ, &rid, 0ul, ~0ul, 1,
RF_SHAREABLE | RF_ACTIVE);

My thanks to Matthew Emmerton (matt@gsicomp.on.ca) for the solution.