Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:09:10 +0100
From:      Andreas Wetzel <mickey242@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP fails after suspend/resume

hi

I am having the problem, that after suspending and resuming, DHCP fails to get
an address.

The system is a ThinkPad T30 with an Atheros based mini-PCI wifi adapter and
FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE installed. The wireless network is configured to use WPA2
with EAP-TTLS authentication. The server side also runs FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE
using hostapd, freeradius and the ISC dhcp server.

Manually doing an /etc/rc.d/netif stop ath0 followed by /etc/rc.d/netif start
ath0 doesn't work either. When I reboot the ThinkPad, the machine gets an IP
address instantaneously.

Checking the logfiles on the server side, I can see, that the EAP negotiation
after the resume works just fine. Also using ethereal I can see that the DHCP
requests arrive on the server, and the server sends replies. But the client
does not seem to receive or react to those replies. I am not in to DHCP that
deep, but could this possibly be due to the server sending unicast replies
instead of broadcast? Is the client supposed to do a DHCPRELEASE before going
to sleep mode?

Windows 2000, which runs in a dual-boot configuration on the ThinkPad can
suspend/resume in the same setup without any problem, so I assume it's a
client side problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Keep it icy man.
I don't want to end up a corpse before my time because you were daydreaming.