Date:      Mon, 11 May 2015 19:37:40 +0100
From:      Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, debian-bsd@lists.debian.org
Cc:        Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
Subject:   Re: reproducible builds of FreeBSD in a chroot on Linux

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

Hi!

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Cross compiling FreeBSD from another platform has been a "gee the=20
> might be nice" goal for some years
> [...]
> If you really wanted to you could look at he kFreeBSD project and=20
> maybe they have a way to do stuff..

That we do!

We package various FreeBSD stuff for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and then build
some of it reproducibly already.

We already have in Debian - on kfreebsd and linux - the necessary
toolchain packages such as clang-3.4, bmake, freebsd-mk,
freebsd-buildutils and particular versions of byacc and flex.  We
prepend "/usr/lib/freebsd:" to $PATH in order to use these:
https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/glibc-bsd/trunk/kfreebsd-10/debian/rules?=
view=3Dmarkup#l46

We were actually able to build our package of the FreeBSD kernel on
GNU/Linux, and the binary would match what we built on GNU/kFreeBSD.
(Which I think is the ultimate in securing against attacks on the
build/development systems).

I haven't tried building much else from FreeBSD - on Linux, or on
GNU/kFreeBSD - using only FreeBSD's original build system.  In our
packaging we tend to make changes as necessary to get individual bits
to build.

I understand wanting to do this on GNU/Linux, but if that's too
difficult, it may be easier trying this in a chroot on GNU/kFreeBSD
first.  You can even run a Debian GNU/kFreeBSD host system with
native FreeBSD binaries inside a chroot or jail, potentially a whole
native build system inside of it.

In any case, I'd like to someday see a GNU/kFreeBSD machine set up as a
http://jenkins.debian.net slave, doing rebuilds and alerting us if any
packages in sid are FTBFS, as well as other tests.

> There may also be a better mailing list for this...

Discussions are very welcome on debian-bsd@lists.debian.org, although
we are rather busy this week finalising a jessie-kfreebsd release.

Regards,
--=20
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org