Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 08:21:42 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Hi,

On 02 June 2012 PM 4:07:23 Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> I'll try to be short.
> I'm using FreeBSD both at servers and as a desktop, but I see
> struggling of my friends with it in some things.
>
> 1. Ports mess. You can very easily render system unusable, or broken
> if you trying to use latest ports. And then you had to became "a port
> master" to fix all. Of course you need a lot of free time, right? :)

this seems to be ignored. I have just a small discussion in the thread Why are you using FreeBSD about this. It would be already a step forward to help people out of this fix when the ports tree of release would be easily available.

> 2. No decent packet manager (I hope pkgng will make life easier). You
> can't just upgrade this and that packet and see what's new, and
> rollback if you don't like somthing .

I really hope this will never come. Why? It will kill make install. Make install is the key to FreeBSD.

I believe a better solution would be versioning of the ports tree. When the ports tree compiles fully, it can be saved and its version number incremented.

I do not believe that much more would be needed. Of course, we have then a huge number of versions. Would it matter? Give the ports tree the major version number of the latest release. So, at the moment it would be 10. Increment then the minor every hour if you want. Just make sure that the ports tree can be downloaded for some time under this version number.

> 3. "FreeBSD is not a linux" - so FreeBSD avoid linuxisms, like KMS
> etc. And when it became crystal clear that progress is inevitable, we
> need wait few more years to get new graphics working. Some time ago, I
> read somewhere on wiki proud phrase "We are more linux than linux
> itself", it was about LSB test or something similar. FreeBSD can deny
> linux ways, but it's here, and it's widespread standard (at least in
> comparing with FreeBSD). FreeBSD do really need those fancy new techs,
> at least which related to X/hardware. XEN is one more thing, which
> could be attractive, but there's not much progress. I don't say let's
> rewrite all as in linux. I'm saying about having copatibility layer a
> bit fresher.

Have you ever worked with Linux? They have so many new features which are pushed like crazy until they are forgotten again. But I agree. Something can be done about X.

> 5. Name public person behind Microsoft? yes, there are one. And from
> Google? And from Oracle? And from GNU? And from Linux? Human nature is
> such that any company/big product is replaced in his mind with person,
> at least partially. And there's no person behind FreeBSD. There are
> many collaborators, who rarely well known in world as FreeBSD
> developer. And this is how it's affect reality:

I think that there is a big misunderstanding in this when it comes to Linux. Yes, there is one guy but he does not have the money. Others have the money.

> - Please, big boss, give me 10mil for new cluster system run on Linux.
> - What's Linux?
> - It's product developed for 20 years by Linus, and in recent years
> got support by many major world companies (long list goes here).

It was the luck of Linus that he used GPL and somebody announced an OS but did not have a kernel.

> P.S. Of course FreeBSD is great, and I'm using it, and I glad that it
> here, and all developers are awesome, no offence here ;)

It is also the question if this would make sense in the spirit of FreeBSD.

I have to run Fedora on one machine. The fast development there comes with a price. I installed Fedora and the applications I needed before I started to travel. I have had  the chance to upgrade after 2 weeks. Hey, this was like Windows. Fedora downloaded more than 600 MB after just two weeks.

I know, it can be even worse on FreeBSD when things like jpeg or png change.

Erich