Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 03:14:17 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Important!! Vulnerability in standard ftpd

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:41:14PM +0200, Nevermind wrote:

> > Check what out? Probably your machine has some other vulnerability
> > which was leveraged. You have given us nothing here beyond showing
> > that your ftp server has a world writable directory.
> I cannot find now files I've found few month ago.
> You should contact better man, who had found ~tmp. dirs in his incoming (=
it is
> in parallel thread).
>=20
> He surely can find hidden files using fsck.
> He should look afair in /var/games/

You have come in and cried "Wolf!" (see subject line) and you don't
have any evidence to back up your claim? That's fairly annoying to the
people you have now caused to panic about some new super-secret ftp
exploit. It is *much* more likely that your machine had some other
well-known vulnerability which you overlooked, and this is actually
what your attackers exploited.

So far all you've shown is that you had a world-writable public
directory which some people uploaded files to. If someone can upload
files, it's much easier for them to take advantage of *other* security
weaknesses on your system which require a local file to work.

Guys, until someone can produce evidence that ftpd itself was actually
the entrance vector and not just an incidental factor to some other
vulnerability, I wouldn't worry about FreeBSD ftpd security
problems. Of course, public writable directories have been, and always
will be, a bad thing for your system security no matter what ftpd you
use.

Kris

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--