Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:17:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, saeedeh.motlagh@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: find slot number and number of ports for each card

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:07:56 +0330
> From: saeedeh motlagh <saeedeh.motlagh@gmail.com>
> Subject: find slot number and number of ports for each card
>
> hello all
>
> i want to have statistics about my hardware specially the type of card
> that are installed on my system, the number of ports that each card
> has and the slot number which cards are installed.  i can find the
> slot number by tracing the output of dmesg but it's time consuming
> job. more over, i don't know how to find the number of ports that each
> card has.
>
> please let me know if there is any command to give these information
> to me directly.

No, there is no such command that will provide "everything" about every
card in every slot in any system.  Unless you have an EISA (obselete)
motherboard, that is.  In which case, the EISA config utility WILL provide
all that information.

The only authoritative way -- that works in _all_ cases, is to open up
the box and =look=.  And then dig up the specs on the boards you find
present.

However, you can find a lot of things by running 'pciconf', *IF* your
machine has PCI slots.