Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 18:12:14 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new GEOM feature - geom_vol_msdosfs

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:30:55PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:04:26AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> +> In message <20040503175810.62d3f0fb.nork@FreeBSD.org>, Norikatsu Shige=
mura writ
> +> es:
> +> >	I made a geom_vol_msdosfs GEOM module.  It provides a feature
> +> >	like geom_vol_ffs.=20
> +>=20
> +> I think this is a great idea!
>=20
> I was wondering if slicers isn't an overkill here as we don't need any
> transformations.
> We could only connect a consumer to destination provider to be able to
> detect orphans and just create symbolic link to destination provider
> from under /dev/vol/... What do you think?
> In addition it will clarify the source provider if someone is interested.
>=20
> I can handle this if you agree with me and reimplement existing
> geom_vol_ffs to be able to handle many label formats in clean way.

By all means, geom_vol_ffs was basically a prototype for me. It worked
well enough for my needs. I chose the slicer api because it made more
sense to me at the time. There weren't any docs when I was writing
geom_vol_ffs and all the other modules seemed to use the slicer api.

In fact, feel free to rip the whole thing apart. But don't change struct
ffs, that was painful.

-gordon

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr--