Date:      Sat, 01 Oct 2005 12:42:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A smarter mergemaster

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:41:57 -0700
>>From: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
>>Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>>
>>One of the design decisions that you need to be aware of for this project
>>since day one was to try and balance intelligent behavior and configuration
>>options that would be useful for the very small percentage of the FreeBSD
>>user community that constitutes our developers, versus the needs of the vast
>>majority of "regular" users who need to be able to use the tool without
>>becoming experts in either our build system, or the tool itself. That is why
>>every single default for mergemaster is to do nothing. It was a purposeful
>>decision to require the user to examine change requests, and make an
>>affirmative choice to approve them.
>

> Doug,
>
> You just hit on one of my pet peeves with mergemaster! Contrary to what
> you say: "every single default for mergemaster is to do nothing", when a
> file is found in /etc/rc.d that is not in /usr/src/etc/rc.d, the default
> is to delete the file in etc. I think that this is a bad thing(tm).

Agreed, The only thing I can think of as a reason for the anomaly is that at
the time I wrote that code, the problems being reported with stale rc files
were pretty numerous, and perhaps I was being overzealous.

I've already said that I like Yar's idea of offering options to delete files
or not, so I'll look at bringing at least that code in ASAP with the change
that you requested, and possibly seek an MFC before 6 release.

> By the way, having run FreeBSD before mergemaster, it's a huge
> improvement on those ugly days.

Thanks for the kind words, they are always appreciated. :)  I should also
take this opportunity to say that I appreciate all the interesting ideas on
this thread, and I am paying attention to what's said even if I don't
comment on it.

Doug