Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:48:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS passwd probs

> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Christoph
> Kukulies had to walk into mine and say:
>
> > That mastername vs. myname discrepancies left aside I kludged
> > yppasswdd so that it stays running and changing the NIS password
> > on the client side give a strange picture:

[symptoms deleted]

> Sorry, but I can't diagnose this from here. You have the source code,
> and a debugger, plus access to all the involved machines: you can do
> much more than I can at this point.
>
> I strongly suspect there's a configuration problem somewhere, but I
> can't pinpoint it without actually playing with the affected machines.

I noticed that it took quite a long time till the client had 'learned'
that there was a password change. I didn't notice this until I tried to
login again after a coupe of hours and suddenly the old password didn't
work anymore but the new one (I supposed I had set it to) didn't work either.

So I changed it back on  the server side, did a make in /var/yp
and immediately after that the freshly set password let me
successfully login on the client. These effect may seem boring - I know.
I will go back and make sure that everything is in sync and try to
UTSL as much as I can.

> Is libcrypt the same on all machines? Did you install DES on all of
> them or leave them in their default configurations (MD5)? Either way
> should work, but if you mix 'n' match, strange things might happen.

Server and clients have libdescrypt.so.2.0 installed and linked to
libcrypt.so.2.0.

> Does passwd(1) on the server work? Did you try running rpc.yppasswdd

Yes passwd on the server always works. It updates /var/yp/master.passwd.
and says 'Changing NIS password...'.

> with the -v flag (which should make it more verbose)? Does
> /var/yp/ypupdate.log say anything useful? Do you have more than one

Will try -v. No, one NIS domain only.

> domain? Is you NIS master server a client of any other servers?

NO. This is a ps ax | grep yp on the server:

   80  ??  Ss     0:14.11 ypserv
   83  ??  I      0:00.01 rpc.ypxfrd
  179  ??  Ss     0:00.32 ypbind -Stoots
 1038  ??  Is     0:00.04 rpc.yppasswdd

> How many clients do you have anyway? What version of FreeBSD are they

About 6 clients. 2.2-current, some 2.2960501-SNAP. I'll make sure now
that the client under test will run the same -current as the server.

> running? Are they even FreeBSD hosts at all? Can you provide _any_
> information at all?

All FreeBSD.