Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:30:02 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3Com Impact IQ ISDN T/A

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 06:11:04PM -0800, Dan O'Connor wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing a 3Com Impact IQ external ISDN modem (terminal
> adapter) and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience using this
> product with FreeBSD?
>
> Specifically:
>
>     1.  How dependent is this modem on DOS/Windows? Can it be configured
> from FreeBSD, or do I need to boot a DOS diskette and run the software that
> comes with it? Can it be configured with AT-commands?

The configuration program requires windows, but it can be done with
AT commands.  If you use the Windows-based config program, it literally
configures itself.  Doing it with AT commands alone will require reading
the manual :-)

>     2.  Will it run at 128K (both channels) under an operating system other
> than DOS/Windows? (I've seen some questions here on the list about other
> ISDN T/A's that only use one channel unless you're running Windows.)

Yes, if configured for multilink.

>     3.  How does it physically connect to the computer? Serial port (thus
> limited to 115kbs)? Ethernet card? 3Com's web site is quiet on this issue.

Serial port.  If you get a 16650-based serial card, you can get all 128Kb
out of it.  If you use stock 16550s, you will definitely be limited to
115Kb.

>     4.  If serial port, can you connect with user-ppp like a normal modem?
> If Ethernet card, does it automatically dial when traffic is directed it's
> way?

Yes.  It looks like a normal modem to ppp.  Even the channel-bonding is
done by the TA transparently.

> I know next to nothing about ISDN, so any enlightenment is much
> appreciated...

Hope this helps...