Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2018 00:11:51 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: anyone running with ngroups increased from 16?

Brooks Davis wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 06:37:53PM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> Windows users seem to have an almost unlimited number of groups and=3D20
>> soem places seem to use them a LOT.
>> This gives Posix systems problems with deciding how to handle them=3D20
>> all. Especially when getting
>> user credentials from winbindd (samba).
>>=3D20
>> Does anyone know of any work done to either bypass this limit or to at=
=3D20
>> least expand it?
>
>I fixed this in 2009 for everything but NFS AUTH_SYS.  NGROUPS_MAX is
>1023.  IIRC the usual hack employed in storage systems is to ignore the
>groups provided by AUTH_SYS and get them from winbindd.  I don't know of
>a public implementation of that.
If winbindd gets the information from LDAP, then you can get the same effec=
from "nfsuserd -manage-gids" for AUTH_SYS (or as Toomas Soome noted, the gs=
sd
does the same thing for Kerberized mounts).

Both of these utilities use getgrouplist() on the NFS server to acquire the=
 list
of groups for the user. As such, anything configured for the library call, =
such
as LDAP, will provide the list of groups.

rick