Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2020 01:21:11 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>, Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Major issues with nfsv4

J. David wrote:=0A=
>Ah, oops.  The "12.2 servers" referred to at the top of the message=0A=
>are the NFS *clients* in this scenario.  They are application servers,=0A=
>not NFS servers.  Sorry for the confusing overloaded usage of "server"=0A=
>there!=0A=
So what is your NFS server running?=0A=
=0A=
Btw, if it happens to be a Linux system and you aren't using Kerberos,=0A=
it will expect Users/Groups as the numbers in strings by default.=0A=
To do that, do not start the nfsuserd(8) daemon on the client and=0A=
instead add the following line to the client's /etc/sysctl.conf file:=0A=
vfs.nfs.enable_uidtostring=3D1=0A=
=0A=
When User/Group mapping is broken, you'll see lots of files owned=0A=
by "nobody".=0A=
=0A=
Also, if you do want to see what the NFS packets look like, you can=0A=
capture packets with tcpdump, but then look at them in wireshark.=0A=
# tcpdump -s 0 -w out.pcap host <nfs-server>=0A=
- then look at out.pcap in wireshark. Unlike tcpdump, wireshark=0A=
  knows how to parse NFS messages properly.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
ps: Once you have switched to NFSv4.1 and have User/Group=0A=
     mapping working, I suspect the NFS clients will be ok.=0A=
     Using NFSv4.1 also avoids FreeBSD NFS server issues w.r.t.=0A=
     tuning the DRC, since it is not used by NFSv4.1 (again, fixed=0A=
     by sessions).=0A=
=0A=
Everything in the message (dmesg, tcpdump, nfsstat, etc.) is from the=0A=
perspective of a FreeBSD 12.2 NFS client, which is where the problems=0A=
are occurring.=0A=
=0A=
Our Linux servers (machines? instances? hosts? nodes?) that are NFS=0A=
clients have been running NFSv4 against the same servers for many=0A=
years without incident.=0A=
=0A=
Thanks!=0A=