Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:25:08 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java in FreeBSD 7.0

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:16:14AM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:04:40 -0700
> Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:
>
> > This isn't going to work.  You can't load a 6.x shared library (the Java
> > plugin) in your 7.x application (Firefox).  If you want to plugin to
> > work you'll have to compile th ejdk15 or jdk16 ports.
>
> thanks for setting me right, Greg :)
>
>  so diablo itself works in 7 (to bootstrap the build for jdk), but the plugin doesn't ?

With misc/compat6x, the current Diablo release should work.  I've varying
reports of how well its working though.  Thats a function of how well the
compatibility layer works though.  The plugin is a shared library.  You
fundamentally can't just dlload a shared library from a different major
version of the operating system and expect everything to just be happy.
What you could do is compile the browser and all the shared libraries it
relies on under 6.x and run the browser + plugin under compat6x on your
7.0 box.  That should work, but it would be rather painful and pointless.
The much saner thing to do is to use Diablo to bootstrap jdk15 or jdk16.
You'll get a newer, better version of the plugin that will run with a
7.x browser and generally be happier with life :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org