Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:24:05 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Mitja Horvat <mitja.horvat@hermes.si>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c905B related kernel panic

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 05:50:47PM +0200, Mitja Horvat wrote:

> The diff is not very large, since it includes only these three lines:
> +       /* increase packet size to allow reception of 802.1q or ISL packets */
> +        if (sc->xl_type == XL_TYPE_905B)
> +               CSR_WRITE_2(sc, XL_W3_MAXPKTSIZE, XL_PACKET_SIZE);
>
> What is this supposed to do other than panicing my machine? :)

The commit was allowing oversized frames so that VLAN tagged frames
could get through. From the commit message it sounds like something
on your network may be sending big frames. Bill Paul would be the
best person to talk to about this - make sure you include all the
info you have about the problem if you send him a message.

	David.

   Close PR #27742: allow the xl driver to receive VLAN tagged frames by
   setting the 'max packet size' register in window 3. This only
   works for cards based on the cyclone or newer chipsets (i.e. it
   won't work with the original 3c905/boomerang cards).

   There is a trick which will work with the boomerang, which is to turn
   on the 'large packets ok' bit in the MAC control register, however this
   lets the chip accept any frame up to 4K in length, which is larger than
   the mbuf cluster buffers we use to receive frames. If somebody sends us
   such a frame and the chip DMAs it to us, it could write past the end
   of the cluster buffer and clobber something.