Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2012 23:04:07 +0100
From:      Shaun Amott <shaun@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CHANGE PROPOSAL] Moving WWW from pkg-descr to Makefile

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 05:32:21PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 04:15:44PM +0100, Shaun Amott wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 04:05:35PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > > I want to propose and make the actual move of the WWW information from the
> > > pkg-descr to the Makefile itself via a WWW variable.
> > >
> > > doing this will have multiple benefits:
> > >  * consistency all metadata bug this one are in Makefile
> > >  * speedup make describe avoiding using grep to get the informations (make
> > >    describe itself does not need speed but make index heavily use it and this
> > >    will definitly benefit from speed up)
> > >  * Third party tool will be able to probe the information more easily.
> > >
> > > Do anyone have any concern about this?
> >
> > A good idea in principle, but I think we need to take care to ensure
> > that the information is easily discoverable by end users. There's a risk
> > that burying the URLs in Makefiles might make them less accessible.
> >
> How that would be more complicated than the actual way?

I wasn't aware there was an "actual" way; isn't `cat pkg-descr` the
easiest way of getting a synopsis of the port (including website)?

> Given that there are 2 user friendly way to get the information: make search
> (which uses INDEX so no change in that area) and freshports and I will make sure
> that we will switch in sync with it.

FreshPorts is great, but we shouldn't rely on it for basic information
and/or functionality.

--
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin